My Readers

Friday, October 5, 2012

Emerging Generation and Faces of Illiterate Half Naked Farmer Forefathers


I have a limitation for I am not a student of economics or commerce, or of political science. Mostly, the understanding of the knowledge, be it from people or paper, I gather from various sources that drive me to express my mind. This also limits my versatility. I cannot discuss everything in one go. Hence, I concentrated one thing once.

I was very specific in telling my mind on the fear of/about farmers’ lot if FDI in retail comes to Bengal. I repeat, it will upturn our farmers’ lives and living. I am not concerned about what today's political leaders are trying to feed us against the FDI Retail. I am against politicization of economic policy. Unfortunately, this has been happening in our country from the start.

We need to think why ONLY the oppositions, and that a fragmented opposition, seeing a red eyed bull gushing in? Punjab is the strongest farmer-state in the country but people there are not opposing FDI retail. Even BJP’s Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh are also not vocal, as they should be. Wait and you will find BJP is letting the proposals passing through LS because a larger section of them are for FDIs.

Strange, Bengal wants to close the doors to FDI Retail whereas proudly keeps the door ajar for other FDIs. Why CPM didn’t stop the FDI from the East? Why Mamata in his ‘Destination Kolkata’ kind meet asked (hilariously though) country by country, ‘You from USA, You from Japan, you from UK, Germany… won’t you invest in West Bengal?’ Roars of their acceptance reverberated even in most conservative media. What forcing them to change their minds now? It is shameless politicalization of economic policies.

Some say FDI Retail will harm us. I say the opposite. I had been to Europe and America; I have seen the effects of corporate retail there. The new policy of retail business, fortunately developed by an Indian, Nitin Nohria, who is at present is the Head of the Harvard Business School, first an Indian ever held this chair, has changed the face of world business and trade. Exploitation cannot always be the ONLY instrument for making-money, but, let’s trust Nitin, in this age, business policy can be an decent and sharp instrument for making-money. Why we Bengalis should consider, moneymaking is a job of Sharks and not of strugging individual?

Our politicians did not cultivate economic literacy, nor let us have it ever. Half baked economic literacy may be good to those rulers, who want to rule Bengal politically only, and happily without understanding the nuances of social developments and reforms. My trust: FDI in Retail will help our farmers to be literate in trade, technically richer in developed farming, and thus ultimately can make them an institution all by themselves. Let the emerging generation change the faces of illiterate half naked farmers that our politician from the start forced them to remain as.

No comments: