My Readers

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lets Respect Life

It was 6.15 this evening in Kolkata. I found a 10x5x 6 ft stack of concrete boulders blocking 50% of the busy CIT Road at Kankurgachhi, and that too blocking the busy bus stop. Standing at the tip of the stack on the road people were waiting for the buses and taxis. A traffic police constable was sitting nearby by the fence of the crowded Pantaloon mall, engrossed in his ‘moorir thonga’.


I stopped before him and asked naively, ‘How could we get those concrete boulders out of the road?’. He replied, ‘It’s none of my business. Ask the corporation.’ ‘When would you act then, after a death at the spot?.’ He replied in his cool, ‘You are right. If only anything happens there.’ I wonder, when would we learn to respect a life before we jump to respect a dead body?

No comments: