My Readers

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Don'ts of a Cataract Operation

Five months back I had an operation in New Delhi, capital of India, to remove cortex and placement of Lens (IOL) in my right eye. Even after three months of this surgery I could not get my vision back, and went to another surgeon, now in Kolkata under a well known roof, only to discover that the IOL I had planted is 'broken' and having floating debris in the vitreous, which were blocking my vision. I was suggested for a Rs. 30K surgery to repositioning of a new IOL and cleaning of vitreous which may disturb my retinal position. I had no alternative but to go for it. Now three weeks to pass I have not regained my vision.

I suggest never take 'cataract operation' lightly nor you go for an ordinary surgeon for it. I did both the mistakes. I thought the few hour operation is a very simple methodology ( I viewed this in the net also) and could be done by any surgeon. My first surgeon was a graduate from a Medical Institute in Manipal, Karnataka. I knew he was admitted there against a heavy monetary fee the doctor's businessman father paid for. He was not worth enough to enter even a private institution with his normal intelligence. I went to him to save money. He charged at least Rs. 6K less than others.

Everyone should take care.

No comments: